In a presentation at the Dutch ‘Economists’ Day’, I argued that
- The system of lending and money creation can become ‘self-inflatable’;
- The revival of (gross) bank lending has, so far, mostly been in mortgages. Little movement in lending to finance inventories or investment;
- Eurozone countries are already highly dependent on bank financing;
- More generally, debt levels are still very high, is it really wise to stimulate economic agents to take on more?
- isn’t the (relative) lack of risk-bearing capital a more pressing issue?
- Even more generally, access to finance is no longer the biggest worry entrepreneurs have.
See the slides below:
Slides not visible above? Click to download PDF.